Monday, May 12, 2014

First NC camping trip

Girls who don't want to see bears, 
please head back the other way

Our first camping expedition from our new home in Asheville was a huge success! We headed about 30 miles south to the Davidson River Campground in Pisgah National Forest.

There are so many great pictures and stories, I'm going to dedicate this entire week to blogging about the trip.

Sound good? I thought so.

The first story I'd like to share is what happened when Cricket the mountain dog and I went for a two-hour hike Friday afternoon.

A few miles away from the Art Loeb trailhead, pictured above, Cricket and I were having a ball. We'd been completely alone in the thick, green forest the whole way. Suddenly, at a point where the trail is completely covered by a canopy of green, a 200-pound black bear popped out of the forest, sat down on the trail, and started scratching himself.

Cricket, being the super-social guy he is, wanted to say hi. I was still registering the fact that a bear was 20 yards in front of us when said bear turned and looked at us.

I started to raise my arms to appear as large as possible, but the bear immediately took off into the forest.

That's when Cricket realized how big the bear was. For the next 10 minutes or so, he was pretty wound up. But no harm, no foul. Onward and upward. Jazz hands!

The second story from Friday is all about burgers. Burgers and a total deluge of rain.

Yep. Half-way through cooking dinner on our open fire, the sky opened up.

Man, oh man, did it pour. But we saved the burgers!

Guess who forgot to bring a second pair of shorts?

That's all for now. 

Stop by tomorrow to see what other kind of idiotic things I'm capable of. Anything's possible.

1 comment: