Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Glamping in Pisgah

Over Memorial Day weekend, Barb, Cricket, Lula, and I went camping in Pisgah National Forest.

This is the same place where we camped two weeks ago. In an earlier version of this blog post, I provided busy readers with links to blog posts about that trip, but now blogger is refusing to cooperate. Therefore, interested readers will have to scroll down.

I apologize for the inconvenience, you lazy bastards.

Kidding! I'm kidding! You're all wonderful people.

All three of you.

Anyhoo, here are two images from a day trip 10 miles away from our campsite at DuPont State Forest. I'm obliged by NC law to inform you that scenes from the Hunger Games were shot here.

Young Katniss
High Falls, DuPont State Forest


Us
No affiliation to the Hunger Games

Back at the campsite, for the entire weekend, a giant carpenter bee hung out around our fire pit. And in our mess tent.

Mostly in our mess tent.

Dealing with him when he buzzed so close to my face I could swear he was a drone, I adopted Cricket's Zen attitude: "Doesn't care."

Barb, on the other hand, was a little less than calm. We'll leave it at that.

Friendly Bee

But enough about my lovely wife, who as always, did a great job packing and prepping food. And is a lovely person. With great hair.

Enough. Let's talk about the lady.

Lula.

As you can see, after passing out from yet another "forced march," Lula didn't seem to care about anything.

Yet again. 

Cricket and Lula
at the campsite, from inside the tent 

On Saturday, out on the North Slope trail, Lula needed a break. As usual, she silently sat down on the trail. That's how she signals: I'm done.

This was the scenery. 

Pisgah National Forest


The following day, Sunday, on our way up to John Rock, Lula ran out of gas early. Really, really early.

Like, rully.

Luckily, I now carry her bike papoose with me. Just in case.

Because Lula


View from John Rock

That's it for now. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

I'm off to apply apple cider vinegar and baking soda paste to the poison ivy oozing out of my left wrist. And my right forearm.

And my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment