Sunday, April 6, 2014

Fairyville

Charles & Gail Dowis

Like any typical Wednesday afternoon, I was at my desk in my office. Working diligently.

That's what I do.

Last Wednesday was a beautiful day - 80 degrees. Therefore, I opened my office windows. All four of them.

The last time I had windows in my office, it was a different century. So I was thoroughly enjoying the breeze, the sound of birds chirping, and the laughter of children playing.

All while working diligently.

Then I heard my wife get into a conversation with an older couple who had stopped their truck in front of our house. Apparently, the driver used to live here - 70 years ago!

Naturally, Barb invited them inside. They went on and on about how beautiful the house is and what a wonderful job we were doing.

Yes, we. Remember, I'm a diligent worker.

Charles and Gail are the nicest people. We really enjoyed showing them around. I especially loved hearing Charles' stories. I'm not sure which one was my favorite.

In my office, where I work diligently, Charles looked out the window, saw a big tree trunk, and started smiling.

Charles goes for a spin, a very short spin

"One day, one of my older brothers left his truck right over there with the keys in the ignition. I was maybe fourteen and was really interested in driving. So I took it for a spin."

Kind of.

"I turned it on and hit the gas. Unfortunately, it was in reverse. I slammed into that tree pretty good. So I jumped out of the truck, left it right there, and high-tailed it down that way," said Charles. "It was all woods back then."

"You just ran?" I asked.

"Yes. Left the truck running and everything."

Burning down the house, and then some

When we walked outside to say goodbye, Charles pointed to the wooded park down the hill.

"We owned all of that," he said with a sweeping gesture.

"My older brothers built a cabin in the woods down there. One day, they locked my friend and I out. They refused to let us in."

So they did what any teenage kids pissed off at their older brothers would do.

"We lit the cabin on fire," Charles said. "Almost burned down the entire neighborhood."

Luckily, the fire department saved the day. Now I chuckle during my daily walk with the dogs in the park here.

Or the daily "forced march" as my dog Lula refers to it.

Gail promised to find pictures of the house back in the 1940s. I'm hoping she can find some in time for the 100th birthday party I'm throwing for this old house. Here in Fairyville.


No comments:

Post a Comment